This reading discusses advantages of object-oriented programming,
Some of the advantages of object-oriented programming include:
1. Improved software-development productivity: Object-oriented programming is modular, as it provides separation of duties in object-based program development. It is also extensible, as objects can be extended to include new attributes and behaviors. Objects can also be reused within an across applications. Because of these three factors – modularity, extensibility, and reusability – object-oriented programming provides improved software-development productivity over traditional procedure-based programming techniques.
2. Improved software maintainability: For the reasons mentioned above, object oriented software is also easier to maintain. Since the design is modular, part of the system can be updated in case of issues without a need to make large-scale changes.
3. Faster development: Reuse enables faster development. Object-oriented
programming languages come with rich libraries of objects, and code developed during projects is also reusable in future projects.
4. Lower cost of development: The reuse of software also lowers the cost of
development. Typically, more effort is put into the object-oriented analysis and
design, which lowers the overall cost of development.
5. Higher-quality software: Faster development of software and lower cost of
development allows more time and resources to be used in the verification of the software. Although quality is dependent upon the experience of the teams, objectoriented programming tends to result in higher-quality software.