Listening to texts, listening to CDs, Trials of a good listener
Introduction to English phonetic Symbols consonants &
Vowels with illustrations in use
3. Listening & Comprehension
Interpretation of texts based on question-answer.
Interaction among students
4. Reading Skill
Techniques of reading. Reading comprehension of unseen
Identifying the context & the central idea
5. Vocabulary & word formation
From different texts & dictionary
1. Basic Grammar
Prescriptive/descriptive approaches grammaticalityacceptability –appropriateness-grammar in contextgrammar in spoken & written
Exercise on the use of different grammatical
constructions in context
Identification of the use of the above given
grammatical devices form different texts like
newspapers, poems, stories etc.
3. Words & phrases used for conversation
Making statements, questions, order & suggestions –
permission, obligations etc.
2. Public speech
3. Telephonic Conversation
Translation – from Hindi to English
DEPARTMENT OF COMMUNICATIVE ENGLISH
(UGC ADD- ON COURES)3
ST YEAR CERTIFICATE COURSE
(a)Consonants and Vowel Sounds.
(b) Phoneme & syllable (Introduction to stress,
accent & intonation)
1. Definition and Scope
2. Speech Mechanism :An introduction
3. Description of Human vocal organs: Active &
4. Phonemes and syllables (Introduction, to stress,
accent & intonation)
5. Consonants of English- Definition and Description
w.r.t. to Tongue Lips and soft plate position.
Pure Vowel/monopthongs (Front, central and Back,
open and closed,short and long, strong and Weak,
Rounded and unrounded)
Vowel Glides /Dipthongs(closing and centering)
Phonetic transcription using IPA symbols –
words,features of connected speech
(Intonation, assimilation of consonant cluster,weak
spelling patterns of English.
2. Subject Verb Agreement
6. Prefix and Suffix
7. Parts of Speech
9. Writing on a given Topic
A. Composing simple paragraph-Ordering information in a
logical manner (coherence).
B. Essay Writing (250 words)-Argumentative, Narrative,
C. Writing Advertisement
D. Writing Welcome Speech & Vote of Thanks.
PRINCIPLES OF PUBLIC SPEAKING
1. Definition and Purpose
4. Helpful Expressions of Introduction & Conclusion
5. Taking Command of audience attention span
6. Role of Accent , Tone ,Intonation
7. Body Language
8. Types :Speech,Elocution, Extempore,debate etc.
9. Personality Traits tested.
10. Combating common fears & nervousness on
PROJECT ON TV PROGRAMME, NEWSPAPERS
ND YEAR DIPLOMA COURSE
1. Principles of Communication
A. Nature, Importance & Types
1. Concept & Nature
2. Principles & Objectives
4. Role of internal & external , formal & informal
5. Types-verbal & nonverbal , introduction to
document & aids like letters,
Barriers to Communication
1. Noise as barrier
3. Language as a barrier
4. Organisational structures as barriers
5. Personal & Psychological barriers
1. Meaning & Nature of Groups
2. Types of Groups: Small & large, primary and
secondary, formal & informal.
3. Channels and Network of communication
4. Modes of group communication: Seminars,
GDs, Workshop etc.
PRINCIPLES OF GROUP DISCUSSION
1. Definition and purpose
4. Taking command of a GD
5. How to keep GD enthusiastic
6. Body language during GD
8. Personality traits tested in GD
9. Mock GDs
PRE JOB TRANING
1. Listening & Reading Comprehension /Telephonic skill(oral
communication & listening Practice)
3. Specific activities in writing skills.
a. Writing Business letter
b. Writing Minutes
d. Writing Application for Jobs.
e. CV Writing
a. Planning & structuring Presentation
b. Tricks to develop rapport with the audience and different
types of audiences.
c. Effective use of Chalk & talk, OHP,LCD & Power point